[G4] Re: G4 Digital Audio video no show

Phil Crowe cawcawster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 03:50:21 PDT 2007

Eric stole my thunder. What I have done is to strip my box to the essentials
- CPU, keyboard & mouse, ram and startup drive. I.e., pull all pci cards and
disconnect all USB & firewire devices. In your case, also pull the AGP video
card and install the working vid card from your G3 in a now=empty pci slot.
Install one ram card. Also, boot in 'safe' mode (extensions off in OS9)
because the video card (pci or AGP) should work from the basic drivers in
the OS. At this point, you can either swap the RAM card out until one works
or move the card progressively through the RAM slots to check them (also, if
the RAM in your G3 is PC100/133, you could use one of them). Also, have you
verified that the CPU is properly seated (and, since the machine is new to
you, that it is a digital audio CPU & not a QS one - this requires an extra
power connection and the seller might not have made it)?

Phil