[G4] Firewire issue

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Sep 2 01:19:41 PDT 2007

On 1 Sep, 2007, at 18:04, Richard Klein wrote:

>  A PC virus could be stored on an iPod just like any other file,
> but it can't be run on an
> iPod, so what's the big deal?  And a PC virus can be stored on an
> iPod no matter what
> filesystem you format the iPod with; it's just another file, after
> all.

The main issue there is that you CAN infect an iPod with a PC virus
and it CAN be passed to another computer from the iPod.

Yes, a virus can be stored on an iPod no matter what format it has,
but it won't transfer to the iPod if the iPod can't be recognized by
a PC (which is where the virus would come from in the first place)
because the iPod is formatted as a Mac iPod. The only way a PC virus
can be installed on a Mac formatted iPod that I can think of is if
the virus is already on the Mac computer and is then transferred to
the iPod by the user manually unless the virus is in a music file
that is automatically loaded on the iPod when it is connected to the
Mac, and I don't think that that is very likely. When did you see a
music file that was infected with a virus?

Go ahead and reformat YOUR iPod, I'm keeping MINE away from all PCs.