[G4] Copying DVD

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Thu Sep 6 16:47:19 PDT 2007

I had a big DVD to copy (the running time was two hours plus -- about =20=

4 GB).

I have System X 10.4.10 -- Intel iMac 1.8 GHz -- 2GB RAM -- 1 TB HD.

I tried Carbon Copy Cloner with no success -- after spending 25 =20
minutes copying, I got a "failure to copy" error.  When I checked the =20=

disks they would not open with 'DVD Player'.

I talked to a recently retired Apple friend who told me to use the =20
Mac 'Disk Utility'.

1.  Insert the DVD to be copied.
2.  Use 'Disk Utility' ('New Image') to create a disk image.
3.  The name of the new disk image will appear in the 'Disk Utility' =20
list.
4.  Select it and click on 'Burn'.
5.  You will be prompted to insert a blank DVD disk.
6.  When it is ready, click on Burn.

For the 4GB DVD it took about 25 minutes to record the track and =20
about 6 minutes to verify.

I used HP Double Layer DVD+R 2.4x disks (at about $2.50 each!)
The HP Single layer DVD-R 16x disks did not work as well (at $.36 each)

Since I needed ten copies, I spend just about all day doing all this.

Is there an easier (and cheaper) way?

Thanks,

earle
*