[G4] G4 MDD won't wake up

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 10:22:55 PDT 2007

On 9/13/07, Harold Polk <hpolkscw at cox.net> wrote:
> I have a G4 MDD that has trouble waking up after going to sleep
> either time out or manual.  However, if I only let the display go to
> sleep, 20 minutes, and keep the computer running, preference set to
> "never," it works fine, the display wakes up every time.
> I have done the following:
>
> 1. all the maintenance procedures, daily, weekly and monthly. cleaned
> the caches.
> 2. zapped the pram
> 3. reset the PMU
> 4. removed the battery and left it out for over 30 minutes. then
> replaced the battery, and reset the PMU.  Battery voltage is 3.6 volts.
> 5. replaced the graphics card with one that is known to work.
>
> No additional PCI cards.
> The memory sticks are the original 245megs from Apple
> 3- 512 megs Kingston sticks
> All memory seems to check out with the memory checkers.
> I do occasional get kernal panics.

The kernel panics are a problem.  They could be caused by any number
of things.  Some OS files could have gotten corrupted over time, your
power supply may not be regulating the power as well as it used to,
you may have bad memory (or a bad slot) despite what the checkers say,
etc.

However, the kernel panics also might be unrelated to your Mac not
waking up from sleep.  What USB devices do you have plugged in?

--
Rich