[G4] Quicksilver cpu upgrade

Wayne Clodfelter wayne at troutnc.com
Mon Sep 17 05:37:40 PDT 2007

Igor Bustos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I´ new on the list, and new on powermacs :)
> I recently sold my 1.5 mini and buy a quicksilver 2002 at 800 mhz with
> 768Mb ram. Works ok, just bougth a new hdd, a pci usb 2 and a usb
> digital terrestrial stick. The tv with eyetv works SLOW, and the cpu is
> alwais over 90%, I have just purchased a ATI 9800 128Mb to have core
> image (hope eyetv works better whith core image)
>
> I´m also going to buy a cpu upgrade, but I doubt witch one to buy.
> Options are:
>
> OWC Mercury Extreme 7445B 2Mb L3    1,46Ghz        259.99 $
> Maxpower 7448 / 1.8Ghz / 1Mb L2                    349.99 $
> Plogix 7447a dual / 1.6Ghz / 512*2Mb L2            387.99 $
>
> 7448 1.8 is faster than the dual 7447a?
> I run this machine at home, and alwais is on running amule or pando or
> transmision. Iphoto and Imovie would be used too, and the eyetv would be
> recording, so, ... do I need a dual, better than a fast solo?
>
> Thx_______________________________________________

If you are running more than one app at a time, a dual processor is
better suited. I waited over a year for the 7448s to come available
because lacking an L3 cache, the 1MB L2 cache of the 7448 is much better
(faster) than the 512K L2 cache of the 7447.
I Suggest you buy the fastest dual processor you can afford. I sprang
for the Newertech 1.8GH 7448 from macsales.com (OWC). I'm running it in
a 2001 Quicksilver. I have not been disappointed.

--
Regards,

Wayne Clodfelter
<wayne at troutnc.com>