[G4] How & Why to "Bless a System" - 0S 9.2?

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Fri Sep 21 15:33:54 PDT 2007

I've found that if a system folder is valid, it will show up in Startup
Disk. In the olden days, one might rebuild the desktop file to make a
system folder bootable. I don't believe it's quite the same now with New
World ROM Macintoshes, but I may be wrong about that, too.

If you can't get Mac OS X's Startup Disk preference pane to see the
classic system folder, you can have the classic preference pane rebuild
the desktop file on the drive. Or so I remember. That should take care
of it.

If it's not bootable after that, I'd suspect that the system folder in
question is incomplete. Also, I got a disc full of Mac OS 9 systems for
various languages, though if someone tries to use something like that,
it won't be a complete system - those are stripped down for use in the
Classic environment only.

Eric