[G4] Re: Lost LaCie external HD and more

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Sep 24 17:33:27 PDT 2007

On 09/23/07, "Joseph Glynn" <jglynn40 at sprintpcs.com> wrote:

Others have posted their replies. I'm posting to address specific queries.

> Problem 1:
>  When the computer is not shut down properly(from a lock up or power outage),
>I can't find my external HD (LaCie 200gb) that is hooked up with a fire wire.
>I have found it in the past using Diskwarrior from Alsoft, but no Ican't find
>it using that software anymore.

Start with this MacFixIt tutorial:
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041221081432908>

>  I can see it when I use the Application/utilities/ Disk Utility.app, but
>when I click on it, it says the smart status is not Supported.

Normal behavior, AFAICT, DU cannot get smart status information from external
HDs.

> Problem 2: (Which might be part of problem 1)
>  My G4's memory is really full, and my printer and OS9 were not working. So
>in one of my attempts to fix it myself I started deleting old files that were
>really big. I thought I was doing good until I went to open I-cal/Address book
>and they were not there anymore. I have all my old disks frommy up grades,
>Tiger, Panther etc. I'm not sure what to do next. I have a copy of my
>cal/address book on my Sprint 6700 that I was syncing up everyday using
>Markspace software.

See these threads for recovering HD space-it has nothing with memory being full.

Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk
<http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/freeingspace.html>
Freeing Up Hard Disk
Space<http://guides.macrumors.com/Freeing_Up_Hard_Disk_Space>

Running maintenance routines and scripts is critical to keeping the drive clear
of unneccesary files. These tell you how:

<http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/features/preventmacdisasters/index.php>
<http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html>
<http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html> and
<http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintainingmacosx.html>