[G4] Re: G4 Upgrading Vrs New I-Mac

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Sat Sep 29 09:26:44 PDT 2007

Crandon David wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> I'm an optometrist, so I've had lots of experience in this area. About
> 30% of my patients are there directly because of CVS (computer vision
> syndrome).

Shows how much *I* know!
The only syndrome of which I'm personally aware is carpal tunnel!

> While you are correct in stating that you are in control of the screen,
> it needs to be pointed out that the screen in not fully adjustable in
> all directions. In addition, many peoples work stations are such that
> there is no way to adjust everything to eliminate all reflections.

You're absolutely right, of course.
I was trying to hit the person who reflexively thought that if one got a new
shiny-screen iMac, s/he was on the way to inevitable eye strain.
As in so many other things in life, one has to analyze and think about the
situation themselves.
I am sure many folks have no light source behind them, impinging on the screen
and giving glare and reflections. Those folks will do well with the new iMacs,
but you're right; the others who can't adapt and adjust, as a result of their
environment do need to consider other options.

Thanks for your thoughtful examples.

keith whaley
(--whose eyesight is inexorably deteriorating from the dry version of ARMD, a
far different problem!)