[G4] Re: "G4 Vrs Mac. Pro. G5"

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sat Sep 29 20:27:52 PDT 2007

You really have to do a spec evaluation and compare that with the
tasks that you are likely to attempt.
You can do perfectly well with Final Cut on a spiffed up G4,
especially if you get a good display card.
On the other hand the G5 will present more opportunities and speed.
So.... If you already have the G4 and the software, upgrades are well
worth it.
If starting fresh, I would look at the G5 .
I was editing in FCP on a slightly upgraded G4 (Quicksilver) and it
worked great. ( G5 still way better)
A MDD dual CPU model is even better. ( closer to G5)
Again, depends on what you know and what you like to see, what you
can live without or need, how much
rendering time you can stand etc.
Tiger and FCP 5 run on my QS. It has a 1.2 g CPU ,1.5 g of RAm, and a
very outdated NVidea MX4 card..
You could probably put together a better rig.