[G4] Re: SATA

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Apr 18 21:38:16 PDT 2008

On 18 Apr, 2008, at 4:04 AM, keith_w wrote:

> And I just recently put a Maxtor One-Touch III into service,
> external on my iMac's FW Bus.... Oh well!
>
> On the other hand, that unit has a 3.5" ATA 300 GB Seagate drive in
> it, so it ought to be just fine!
> I've had good luck with Seagate drives, so this should be no
> different.

On average, I handle four to six hard drives each day at the program
that I volunteer with. Of all the brands that I have experienced
failures with, I do not see any preponderance of any particular brand.

Failures occur randomly, not according to brand or even age. The
industry rates the average time before failure for every component,
but that does not give any guarantee that a particular device will
actually fail at that "designated" time.

In other words, fellows, buy the brand that you favor, ignore the
others, and replace it WHEN IT FAILS and don't worry about it ahead of
time. It won't make your day any less worrisome to fret about
something that you have absolutely no control over.

Just be sure that you have an adequate backup of your important
documents!