[G4] Gifted with a G4/500

bill ritchey britchey11 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 10:10:08 PDT 2008

well, heres what a do with mine
i kept os9.1 one not two, one is more useful, and then
install 10 , best to leave out the classic 9 since its
just an emulator and wont run many 9 apps.-so that its
a dual boot, you just go to the pefrence panel in
either system and tell it to restart from the other
system. the machine will run faster in 9,1 than in 10.

things that i do in 9.1: the main thing that i do is
edit video, i use cinestream which is a very good
system that got bought by autodesk and is used for
feature movies. its much easier to learn than anything
else and renders 4 times faster than fcp and twice as
fast as premiere. you can also run older editions of
premiere. you can buy these on ebay for nothing. i
have a new version of fcp on a new machine but i edit
90% of my video on my g4 400 and use fcp only when i
need a tool. and tools for video are now becoming
stand-alone so increasingly i just restart my g4 into
10 and use the newer tools without going to my fcp
machine.
i also have some 9apps that i stilll use, i'm
travelling now so they are not on this machine and
cant think of their names, but one is a photo video,
image cataloger that will find everything visual on
the drives and  make a thumbnail of it  so you where
it is. it will play the video clips too.
i use destiny media player which will do the same
thing with all sounds on your disks and is an easier
way to manage radio stations than itunes.
i also just spend less time waiting for my g4 w/9.1 to
do things, i have 3 machines that run on 10 and i'm
reminded every day that os 9.1 is faster and more
stable