[G4] Gifted with a G4/500

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Tue Apr 29 13:08:21 PDT 2008

On Apr 28, 2008, at 9:41 PM, Crandon David wrote:

> My DP500 bongs only about one out of ten times I start it up, and
> otherwise it works fine.
>
> David

*
It should 'bong'.  The 'bong' is your friend.

Here's how to make it 'bong' every time (unless you have something
else broken.)

Restart your computer while holding down four keys:  Command, Option,
'o', and 'f'
(That's the letter 'o' and the letter 'f'.)

This starts your computer up in 'open firmware' mode.

At the prompt, type:
    reset-nvram  (then carriage return)

Then type:
    reset-all

You might have to do this more than once.  (nvram is non-volatile RAM.)

To check the startup disk there is another procedure:

Restart you computer while holding down three keys:  Command, Option,
and 's'.

This starts your computer up in 'single-user' mode.

At the prompt, type:
    fsck -y (then carriage return)
Important:  note the space between the k and the -

To reboot, type:
    reboot

Finally, you can reset 'parameter ram' by starting up while holding
down these four keys:

    Command, Option, 'p' and 'r'

Have fun!

earle