[G4] Gifted with a G4/500

Christina Samuels casamuels at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 16:07:32 PDT 2008

Re: the Mac "bong." The computer is not making any sound at all. I can turn
it on, the power light comes on, I hear the hard drive spinning, and the fan
is going. But, there's no startup chime. Because I don't have a keyboard or
a monitor or it, I can't tell if it's really doing anything or not. I did
reseat the RAM, replace the battery and reset the PMU as suggested, but that
didn't work. Before I do anything else, I figure I need to get a monitor and
a keyboard so I'm not flying blind here. I'll try the open firmware reset
when I have a keyboard to do it with.

It currently has 320Mb of RAM. I didn't want to get into further purchases
until I know that it's functional.

I hate to ask a dumb question -- I want to reply to posts so that they're
all in the same thread. I think I'm starting a new thread every time I
reply. How do I avoid that?