[G4] G4 info needed

Luke Rademacher lz4broc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 22:03:53 PDT 2008

I am new this list. But based upon what you list, It would be nice to
know more exactly what model G4 Tower you have.
Speed 667Mhz is that the CPU speed? I dont recall any G4 Tower that
had a 667MHz speed.

Based upon what you listed I can tell you to max out your RAM.
Depending on the model of your G4 Tower you can likely go anywhere to
1.5GB to 2.0GB. 1.5GB = 3 x 512 if you only got 3 DIMM slots or 2x
256 + 2 x 512MB if you got 4 DIMM slots. Get decent priced RAM from
someplace like OWC.

For Video work you need a big HD. 500GB would be good if you are
gonna be doing a lot of digital video stuff. Keep the 80GB for your
OS and apps. then use the Big HD for all the video & media clips.

Would be best to get a modern Mac OS. for a G4, go get OSX Tiger
10.4. again OWC sells them decent price.

For a G4 desktop you can get away with iMovie 5 or 6 for basic
desktop video editing, or go for Final Cut Express if you can get
one. Of course once you make your Movies you'll need to make your own
DVD's. Look for a DVD±R drive, and iDVD app for making DVD video discs.

Also, you may find all the Upgrades start adding up big time, in that
case, buying a Refurb Intel Mac Pro is better choice if you still
gonna give a go for Digital Video creation and editing.

Otherwise what you list is decent enough for most regular Web
surfing. I'd still look at getting OSX if you could. Panther or Tiger
if you can.

Peace,

Luke Rademacher
Liquid Zone Graphics
Mac mini 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 80GB HD, Combo DVD/CDRW,
Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.4, ext NewerTech miniStack w/ 320GB HD.
MDD Dual 1.25Ghz G4, 2GB RAM, 250GB/120GB/80GB HD's, 16x DL DVD±R/RW
Superdrive, Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.11, Classic Mac OS 9.2.2.
Intel Celeron 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Ubuntu Linux 8.04
5.5th gen 80GB Enhanced Video iPod
Canon CanoScan 8400F
Canon Pixma iP450