[G4] Which airport card for a Power Mac G4 Mirrored Drives

Jonathan MIller miller_jonathan at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 18:53:05 PDT 2008

Thank you all for the quick feedback.

BG, I can't use the hardwired port because I have no ethernet nearby.  I need to connect via wifi.  Jay, I understand what you are saying about using the Airport Express and connecting it to the MDD via ethernet.  This works only if you have the Airport Express in WDS mode, extending an existing Airport base station.  Trouble is, I have an existing third party access point in the house connecting 8 other clients, so the Airport Express can't run in WDS mode to extend the range of the wifi net to the MDD.  It could only run in client mode, and then the enet port is disabled and the Express becomes simply a destination for AirTunes and print jobs.

I think I am going to go with a third party PCI 802.11n card.  Don't see a Sonnet 802.11n PCI card, just g, on SonnetTech's site.  Luke, can you tell me what you are using?  And do you recommend the Sonnet PCI adapters for Ubuntu and Winblows machines?  Looks like good hardware.

Anyone have any experience with the MacWireless 802.11n PCI card for $90?  See http://www.macwireless.com/html/products/wireless_cards/11n_cards/11nPCI.php

JM