[G4] The definitive answer on hard drive limits?

Luke Rademacher lz4broc at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 09:58:21 PDT 2008

the MDD G4's do not have the older 128GB HD Limit.

My 250GB HD in my MDD is seen proper from the built in default ATA100
HD controller and formats to 233GB without issue.

Thats the real Truth. I've been using my MDD since December 2003 and
purchased the WD 250GB Caviar se 16MB cache UltraATA/133 7200rpm HD
in 2005 and it has worked very well with Mac OSX 10.4.11 Tiger.

I routinely utilize Mactracker to get info about Macs I have used, I
currently use and when I am helping friends or clients with Macs that
they own/use.

According to Mactracker 5.04 the MDD Dual G4 offers "Large Drive
Support over 128GB" It uses an ATA-6 controller with bus support of
ATA/100 and a ATA-5 with bus support of ATA/66. The Optical Drive
EIDE controller is ATA-3 and only is used for Optical Drives.

Peace,

Luke Rademacher
Liquid Zone Graphics
Mac mini 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 80GB HD, Combo DVD/CDRW,
Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.4, ext NewerTech miniStack w/ 320GB HD.
MDD Dual 1.25Ghz G4, 2GB RAM, 250GB/120GB/80GB HD's, 16x DL DVD±R/RW
Superdrive, Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.11, Classic Mac OS 9.2.2.
Intel Celeron 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Ubuntu Linux 8.04
5.5th gen 80GB Enhanced Video iPod
Canon CanoScan 8400F
Canon Pixma iP450