[G4] CPU Upgrade Question

Luke Rademacher lz4broc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 08:33:26 PST 2008

My first impression and response would be no.

But then I've never tried and don't know 100% for sure.

My assumption is that Your single 733MHz QS G4 is a single processor
system. It's never had a dual processor in it before so the QS may
not be able to communicate with the dual 1GHz processor without some
sort of Firmware upgrade.

But Then there are Upgrade kits sold by a few companies to do upgrade
a Single processor G4 to a Dual G4. I do not know what those kits
from Power Logix or Sonnett or Newer Technology employs.

I suggest you ask around more to other people on this List and also
check out other Mac upgrade lists and maybe some retailers such as
OWC (www.macsales.com) and see what they tell you.

Peace,

Luke Rademacher
Liquid Zone Graphics
Mac mini 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 80GB HD, Combo DVD/CDRW,
Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5, ext NewerTech miniStack w/ 320GB HD.
MDD Dual 1.25Ghz G4, 2GB RAM, 250GB/120GB/80GB HD's, 16x DL DVD±R/RW
Superdrive, Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.11, Classic Mac OS 9.2.2.
External 1TB HD FireWire 400
Intel Celeron 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Ubuntu Linux 8.04
5.5th gen 80GB Enhanced Video iPod
Canon CanoScan 8400F
Canon Pixma iP4500