[G4] sata drives

Luke Rademacher lz4broc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 01:56:24 PST 2008

All you need is an Open PCI slot. Install SATA PCI Card, Mount SATA
HD into drive carrier, Hook up SATA HD to PCI Controller Card, Hook
up SATA HD via SATA Power convertor Cord to Std 4pin Molex Power
adapter.

Boot Computer as normal. Run Disk Utility, Format new HD as you want
it to be... if the new HD will be a Boot Drive, make sure you install
Boot OS onto newly formatted HD or Perform Cloning of current Boot HD
using app such as Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

The MDD has two drive carriers. The drive carrier in the front, which
is under where the Optical Drives sit, attach normally to the
computer via one of the 2 channels of ATA-66. The Drive carrier in
the Rear is mounted Vertically and is where the 2 channels of ATA-100
would normally sit.

My experience... leave the Current OS Boot Drive where it is in your
computer. Install Card, then Install new HD in front Drive Carrier.
Attach cables.
Boot up computer as normal. Format new HD, then either Clone OS from
existing Boot Drive to new SATA drive or Install fresh OS copy onto
new SATA drive.
Once you are satisfied, Reboot computer, Pressing Shift Key during
the Bootup which forces Computer to show you the Available Boot
Options. If everything is set it show you Two different Drives to
Boot from: the Original and the New SATA. Choose the New SATA and
continue booting. Once started then reformat previous HD for use as a
Data Drive or Backup Drive of some sort.

The MDD's can physically support and power 4 HD's via the standard
PATA Controllers, the 2 ATA-100 in rear and the 2 ATA-66 in front.

With a SATA Controller Card they normally have Ports for 2 SATA
devices. Your new SATA HD will also need a SATA Power Adapter which
if you don't have can be picked up at most any computer parts
store... 4pin Molex to SATA Power.

About the only Tools you will need are a Philips Head screwdriver and
an Anti-static strap.\
\
Peace,

Luke Rademacher
Liquid Zone Graphics
Mac mini 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 80GB HD, Combo DVD/CDRW,
Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5, ext NewerTech miniStack w/ 320GB HD.
MDD Dual 1.25Ghz G4, 2GB RAM, 250GB/120GB/80GB HD's, 16x DL DVD±R/RW
Superdrive, Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.11, Classic Mac OS 9.2.2.
External 1TB HD FireWire 400
Intel Celeron 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Ubuntu Linux 8.04
5.5th gen 80GB Enhanced Video iPod
Canon CanoScan 8400F
Canon Pixma iP4500