[G4] SCSI to Firewire adapters on scanners

Kathi Anderson kathialexis at cox.net
Fri Feb 15 21:30:34 PST 2008

I use an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card hooked up to a Agfa Arcus II scanner on my
old G4. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using SCSI to
Firewire adapters with a scanner of this type?

I would like to move this scanner over to a new Mac of some type. I haven't
decided what I am going to buy. However I know that SCSI cards are dodgy
more often than not with newer towers.

Any ideas?

Bill
Montreal

Hello, Bill...
I have a wonderful old UMAX Powerlook II with transparency adaptor and it
does a great job hooked up to my G3 266 beige tower. I also have a SCSI to
Firewire adaptor for it and was planning on hooking the scanner up to my MDD
or DA G4. What stopped me from doing it was the OS. The scanner software
only goes as high as OS9. A scanner this old does not have support for any
version of OSX. I might be able to make it work using classic on the G4, but
as long as my old G3 holds up I see no real benefit to changing. I also have
a Nikon LS-2000 dedicated film scanner hooked up to this G3 and I can still
download software for OS9 from Nikon and UMAX for both of these scanners. I
move the scans to my G4s with a Zip and work on them in CS2 or CS3
Photoshop. Works just fine.
Kathi