[G4] SCSI to Firewire adapters on scanners

Skygram skygram at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 22:27:10 PST 2008

Kathi!

Ego can indeed be expensive! At least when I start adding up all my
insecurities!

Harry pointed out that were I to upgrade my CPU with one of those new chips
that I had better also update my video card. I am still using the original
ATI 16mb graphics card along with a Radeon 7000. So when you start adding
everything up it is getting awfully close to the price of a Mac Mini or even
a low end iMac.

I agree with you that older peripherals can be better in many respects over
newer models.  I like things that weigh a lot and older hardware is often
heavier and this element gives me the idea, accurate or not, that they are
more substantial. My Arcus II scanner, for example, weighs 35 pounds whereas
the new Epson 750 weighs in at about 15 pounds. Yet the Epson ostensibly has
better specs. Nevertheless the differences are not visible to my eyes. So
I'll save myself the $900.00 and not get the Epson.

But I must admit I sometimes like to buy stuff solely because of the cool
factor. Call me shallow! :-)

Thanks for your ideas.

Bill
Montreal