Fwd: [G4] Power supply question... "Yikes!" vs Gigabit Ethernet

C D T cdt at globaldsl.net
Fri Feb 22 04:37:28 PST 2008

NOTE:  PIN CONFIGURATION on power supplies

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Yikes
was based on the G3.  The G3 has the lower wattage power supply with a
20 pin connector.  I know the Gigabit has a 22 pin connector, I have 2
of them.  Be sure the PIN CONFIGURATION matches when you are looking at
power supplies!

I went through this when I thought I needed a power supply for my
Gigabit, 450Mhz single processor.  The machine wouldn't start up.  Push
the power button and nothing would happen.  I tried unplugging it for
various periods of time from a few minutes to a few hours and plugging
it back in.  Nothing.  The diagnostic I found on the internet indicated
that the power supply was dead.  I had trouble locating one at a
reasonable price, so I ended up buying a used G4 Quicksilver Dual 1
Ghz.  I took the pram battery out of the Gigabit and was just going to
use it for parts.  A few weeks later - just on a whim - I tried to
start it up.  Much to my surprise, it started and ran fine.  It's been
going strong for almost a year since the original failure and I have no
idea what the original trouble was!  Anyone ever of something like this
and know what causes it?

Dan

Begin forwarded message: