[G4] Panic after OSX 10.3 install; Can't open disk drive

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 06:15:23 PST 2008

Mactracker won't tell you if a previous owner took out the superdrive and
replaced it with a simple CD drive.  That seems unlikely, but it's possible.
Once you get into OS X, go to the Apple menu and pick "About this Mac".
Then click on "More Info" (I'm sitting at a Windows PC right now, so I might
have the wording slightly wrong).  Look for "Disc Burning" to find out what
drive is really in your iMac.

As for ejecting the CD, you can do that in Open Firmware.  Right after you
turn it on, hold down Command+Option+O+F to get into the Open Firmware.  It
will tell you when to release the keys.  Type "eject cd:" to eject the CD,
then type "eject cd:" again to close the tray (unless it's a slot-load
drive).  Finally, type "shut-down" to turn off your iMac.

--
Rich

<snip>