[G4] Re: Re: Re: Sleep or leave running?

Kevin Walsh walsh_kevin_t at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 15:43:55 PST 2008

Eric's response to Chris
>>  i do know a bit about high end stereo equipment,
of which i'm
>> fortunate enough to own a few components. when i
bought my first
 {solid
>> state} hi end components in 1985, i was advised to
leave them on ALL
 the
>> time to protect the internal components of the
units from premature
>> degradation and or failure due to heating and
cooling cycles - not to

>> mention obscene repair costs.
>>
>> SO - for all intents and purposes my power amp, pre
amp and tuner
 have
>> NEVER been shut off since their purchase in 1985,
unless i was
 leaving
>> for more than 48 hours.
>>
>> i am listening to them as i write this {lowell
fulson!}.
>> they are still ALL original - not even a second of
down time in over
>> twenty years!
>
>On the other hand, I'm still using the same stereo
equipment I >bought
>in 1975, and it probably has been turned off and on
10,000 times. :)

>Eric

I have a Solid State Panasonic Stereo with a funky
pop-up vinyl player - prolly from the early 70's - I
turn it on only when I intend to use it.  And it
functions as the receiver for my CD player and DVD
player (and a better vinyl player).  The crazy thing
has a radio dial that lights up ...somehow,  never
cared to look inside, I can garentee it ain't an LED.
But the thing's nearly 40 years old and is turned on
and off Daily.

On the subject of computers - I'm big on saving
energy.  I have 2 of the original iMacs that are never
on unless I need them, they'll soon be a decade old
and still run like champs.  On my G4, I run a Program
called MacJanitor.  Do a google search, you can't miss
it.  It allows you to run all the system mantenance
that occurs between 3am to 5am at your own conveinence
- which is most likely why many of you leave your
machines running.  It's the same stuff you can type in
yourself in the terminal - but this program makes it a
couple strokes of the mouse.

As for the orginal question: Sleep or leave running?
You've got to stay ontop of your system.  I
experienced something awful with the fixer-upper I
brought up recently.  It was as if the OS went
comatose after 5 hours of sleep.  I added RAM and
cleaned out 4 gigs in the tiny but packed HD.  Now I
turn the thing off at night and leave it off until I
come home from work.  I can run the sucker for hours
at a time, allow the screen saver to run but I never
let it sleep.  My general rule, if you ain't using it,
then power down.

Peace,
Kevin