[G4] Much Ado About Harddrives

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 16:18:42 PST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 6:57 PM, Kathi Anderson <kathialexis at cox.net> wrote:

> Ultra ATA is the same as SATA.

No no no!  Ultra ATA is *NOT* the same as SATA!  You won't be able to
use SATA drives in a Sawtooth without first buying a SATA card.

> One more thing. The /66 part is the speed of the hard drive. I am not sure
> is you can put a /100 in a machine designed for /66. I think it might, but I
> am not sure. Someone else can weigh in on this part. I think it might be the
> same story as the 128 mg limit.

You don't have to worry about the speed.  Any speed hard drive will
work in the Sawtooth (or any other G4 Mac); it just won't access it
any faster than 66MB/second.

Good post, Kathi!  I just didn't want the original poster to buy a
SATA drive only to find he couldn't plug it in (SATA drives use
different connectors than Ultra ATA drives).

--
Rich