What makes a fast machine? (was Re: [G4] MDD Config)

jonseward at mindspring.com jonseward at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 19 14:33:13 PST 2008

word

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Brian at Arsis Music brian at arsismusic.com
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 16:58:21 -0500
To: g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
Subject: RE: What makes a "fast" machine? (was Re: [G4] MDD Config)

I upgraded to a Mac Pro GHz (2gig RAM) a while back.  I gave my G4 dual 867
to my wife.  Every now and then she'll complain about it being "slow".  Then
I'll look at her tray and she'll have Photoshop, Aperture, imovie, iTunes,
Safari, Account Edge, Outlook,  Picture Viewer, Handbrake, and any number of
other software all open at the same time. And it still runs fine and surfs
faster than my 1.8 GHz (1gig RAM) PC that I have in my office.  My MacPro is
strictly an audio machine for my studio and is definitely faster for running
50+ tracks 24bit/192k audio.  But for day to day applications the G4 still
smokes any PC that I or any of my friends have.  I tell all my friends
"Before I got a MAC  I used to think that MAC users were smug elitists.  But
then I got one and realized it's just that they are right".

Brian Parker
Producer/Engineer
http://www.arsismusic.com