[G4] Much Ado About Harddrives

Doug Burton slugg0 at embarqmail.com
Mon Jan 21 12:47:50 PST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 11:00 PM, Doug Burton wrote:

> <SNIP>

> While it would be totally cool to have over 2 Tb of HD space in my
> file server, I ended up ordering the 4 Seagate 300 Gb drives from
> NewEgg.  Seagate has a 5 year warranty where the Maxtor's is only 3
> years and with the free  shipping the total $$$ was a good bit less
> for the Seagates.  My present setup offers only 840 Gb of space so
> the upgrade in speed and 1.2 Tb of space will be significant enough
> to justify the cost.  At least I keep telling myself it is!

New drives and controller arrived today.  Naturally I couldn't wait to
get them installed.  Decided the best course of action would be to
leave a set of the present drives installed and add 2 of the new SATA
drives to back up the data to.  Did so, closed up the case and hit the
power button.  Nothing but a flashing ? on the screen.  Opened it back
up and DOH!  Forgot to hook the power back up to the OS drive.

Chronosync is happily backing up the data now and when that is
finished I will install the other 2 drives and use the program once
again to make those my backup drives.  Gotta love Chronosync, every
morning about 4 AM it does it's job and makes sure I have a full
synced backup of all my data.

Just a message from Doug...