[G4] upgrade or buy new mac?

Brad Russell braddrussell at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 12:31:19 PST 2008

Just bought my wife a new Macbook so of course we are now feeling the need to upgrade or replace the desktop.

Right now I have a DP500 with 2 gigs of ram an ATI 9200 video card
pushing to 20" LCDs and it is running Tiger.  What I would like is a
machine that doesn't seem quite so sluggish while scrolling through my
e-mail,  run the latest iphoto  and office.  I would be nice to run
Leopard (is it required for the new iphoto?)  I've thought about a mini
but I want to keep the dual monitors.  So do I try a processor and video card upgrade? ( I need a new video card
in the DP450 in the basement so it could take the 9200) or do a go with
a whole new box?  Of course I'd like to keep things a cheap as possible
but I'm not sure if I'd be better continuing to soup up the old girl or
go for something with a faster bus.

Thanks!

Brad