[G4] upgrade or buy new mac?

jonseward at mindspring.com jonseward at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 30 18:10:51 PST 2008

Have you tried emptying your caches, running Disk Utility to repair
permissions, and purging Libraries?  I had a
similar problem with Safari a while back - slowed down like molasses - did
the tasks above and it's spiffy quick now.

Also do you have more than 10% of your hard drive space free?  As you
approach it, your CPU has to work a lot
harder to find places to put all those bytes that are in motion, and that
can slow things down tremendously, cause
crashes, kernel panics and data loss/corruption.  Drive are pretty cheap
these days.  Put in an additional drive for
storage, backups, cache locations, etc. and you can free up a lot of room
on your primary/boot drive.

The best performance value investment for an old Mac is to max out your
RAM.  So fill up those slots with the largest
capacity sticks (of the appropriate specs) of RAM.  Also pretty cheap these
days.

Lastly, some applications don't dynamically assign memory to meet the
immediate demand.  Look in the applications
Preferences menu to see if you need to bump up the assigned memory.  You
might also open the Get Information
function (Apple-i clicking on the application's icon [not alias!]) and see
if it also mentions memory assignment.

More lastly:  I use Earthlink as my email provider and access my emails via
webmail, and I've noticed that it has
recently tends to to be more finicky and responds more slowly - to the
point that it doesn't recognize addresses and
commands.  Sometimes this seems to happen at times when demand on the
internet might be particularly high.
Your issues may not be entirely internal.

HTH,

Jon