[G4] Not booting G4 from External SCSI HD

Mel mllwrm at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 20 11:09:51 PDT 2008

I am writing this on a G4 DA, 667 MHz, 768 SDRAM  and two 7200 RPM internal hard drives running under ATA protocol and both installed with OS 9 drivers,  one hard drive not partitioned and booting under OS 10.4.11 and one hard  drive partitioned and booting from either OS 10.4.11 or  OS 10.2.8.  The internal hard drives are:

1- 37GB model WDC WD400-JB-00TAG
2- 74GB model ST380021A

The G4 came with an Adaptec 2906 PCI card that allows me to read from or write interchangeably to any of the three external SCSI hard drives all with OS 10.2.8 installed or any of the two internal hard drives.

However, I cannot boot from  any of these external hard drives as the 2906 PCI card will not do that.

Question: Is there any Adaptec PCI card or any other manufacturer's PCI card that will allow me to boot from a external SCSI hard drive with OS 10.2.8 or with any OS  X installed  on the external hard drive?

Mel