[G4] Not booting G4 from External SCSI HD

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Jul 20 16:56:52 PDT 2008

On 20 Jul, 08, at 14:23, John Niven wrote:

>  It should not be different with external drives. Most SCSI problems
> relate to improper termination, or i.d. assignments.

Not quite so.

My experiences with some of the ATTO cards showed me that the majority
of the cards that had Ultra-Wide SCSI ports for the external
connection would not allow me to boot to my external drives. When I
installed card with a standard SCSI 25-pin connection, I could boot to
the external drives.

Unfortunately, it has been over three years since I have used those
kinds of ATTO cards and I cannot remember their part numbers. Sorry
that I cannot give more information than what I have.