[G4] Update: External firewire device surprise unmount

Robert Pearson rrpearson at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 20 20:35:23 PDT 2008

I think the console log is long gone. Since then, I may have found a
solution. The afternoon I posted my wife made a crack about the
problem being software-based, so to 'show' her, I rebooted with my
Diskwarrior DVD and replaced the directories on both partitions. I
also took the drive case apart and blew out all manner of dust, just
in case this was a heat issue. Of course, neither of these fixes
would work.

Except one must have. Ever since then, no problems (knocks
thunderously on wood). (I guess we know who's got the brain in our
family. And now she's *never* going to let me have my turn with it.)

Of course, the USB problem's still happening, but I think its power
brick has gone bad. Time for a new hub.

Of course, this may simply be a coincidence, but I'll keep watching.
I hope it *does* fix the problem, since putting in PCI cards
represent the apex of my computer hardware tinkerin' skills. I'll
look into the power supply idea, though. I may also look into a less
'hungry' video card, as I'd really like to install a SATA drive,
which would, of course, need a PCI card.

Thanks, all.