[G4] SCSI card for G4

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 06:16:56 PDT 2008

Adaptec have NOT made any drivers for OSX. Therefore the only cards that can be used are the ones that do not need drivers.

ATTO on the other hand have downloadable current drivers. But I am currently using the built in Tiger drivers with a UL3D (they just work). I'm not surprised ATTO would recommend a UL4S or UL4D but they are overkill unless you are using U320 SCSI drives. The UL3S and UL3D support U160 speeds and are probably fast enough for this list. BTW they are full-length 64bit pci cards so match the G4's 64bit capable slots. Those run at 33MHz which is a bit slow by modern standards but if you have a 64bit pci card that is equivalent to 32bit at 66MHz so its a very good LEM usage :-)

I like the idea of using fast U160 10Krpm SCSI drives with old G4 towers, as the price of used gear is now very reasonable. I read somewhere that using a scsi pci card and drives instead of the built in ata interface frees up tasks from the CPU, giving a performance increase, but I'm not knowledgeable about that.

I can say that at work I use a G4 dual 450MHz AGP, with a flashed PC GeForce2 MX, 1Gb of RAM, running 2 18Gb Quantum Atlas V 68pin drives in a RAID 0 stripe, one on each channel of a ATTO UL3D. I run Tiger, M$ Office 2004, use Entourage for mail and calendar with the companies exchange server, LOVE BBEdit and X11 for working with the companies Unix systems.

I would prefer a Mac Pro :-) but this is a "covert" computer to our IT group. No friends there :-( I would rather use my LEM than their precious DELL's anyday.

Cheers,
John