[G4] New G4 owner

Eric Smith eric-s-smith at comcast.net
Tue Jul 29 16:44:44 PDT 2008

I would definitely upgrade the CPU if you're going to do much
video editing. Probably not necessary for word processing.
General info on CPU upgrades here:

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-mac-g4-upgrade-guide.html

Which option you go for kind of depends on how much you want
to spend.

Depending on how much RAM it has you may want to add more
of that too.

What OS is it running now? If you want to install Leopard,
you'll have to upgrade the CPU unless you use an installation
workaround (and you'd want at least 1GB RAM). Otherwise Tiger
is a great OS for this machine.

Hard drive is another potential area for upgrade, depending
on what it has now. Adding a SATA drive + controller card
will get you much faster disk IO plus it won't be subject
to the 128GB size limitation.

You definitely want to add a USB 2.0 card if it doesn't
have one. They can be found pretty cheap.

Eric