[G4] airport

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Wed Jun 4 21:08:33 PDT 2008

On 4 Jun, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Rich Northouse wrote:

> Can someone please help me out. When you are using a Mac with a M<ac
> keyboard, you press the up-arrow to open the drawer on the cd/dvd
> drive. But
> what do you do do the same task if you are using a non-apple
> keyboard which
> doesn't have the up-arrow key?  I thought it was F12 key, but that
> doesn't
> seem to work.

If you mean the key at the uppermost right corner of the keyboard,
that is not an "up-arrow" key. The "up-arrow" key is at the lower
right side of the alpha/numeric key section and is next to the right,
down, and left arrow keys.
I think your referred "up-arrow key" is the CD media eject key or the
CD tray action key (open/close according to the status of the tray
when the key is pressed) in correct terms.

In any event, that IS the normal Macintosh keyboard key to open and
close the CD tray. If your keyboard does not have such a key, you can
use the keyboard preference settings to assign that task to any
selected key on your keyboard. You MUST verify that the key you select
to open the tray is not assigned to any other additional task when you
do this.

Navigate to the Keyboard & Mouse preferences pane, select the Keyboard
shortcuts tab, examine each available selection of description/
keyboard shortcut, and verify that the task you want is not already
available or that the keystroke you want to use is not already
assigned to some other task.

Once that is verified, click on the "+" button to bring up the window
pane to create a new action/keystroke. Select "All Applications" for
the action to apply to. Assign a name to the action such as Open/Close
CD Tray. Click the mouse once in the box titled "Keyboard Shortcut" to
select it and then press the key you want to use for that action: ie:
the f12 key. Now click the Add button to make that keyboard function
the default action for your computer.

Thus endeth the lesson.