[G4] Major mail problem!!!!!

CDT cdt at globaldsl.net
Sat Jun 14 20:40:26 PDT 2008

HELP!!!!!!

I really messed up on mail (apple mail 1/3/11 (v622/624).  I
inadvertedly hit command A (select all) and delete.  All the messages
in my inbox were moved to the trash.  Then the nightmare began.

I hit "undo" delete all and thought that would take care of it .
When the machine stopped moving messages (several minutes) they were
all still in the trash mailbox.

I though it wouldn't be a problem and began transferring them back to
the inbox.  When the transfer was complete, all the messages were
apparently in the inbox, but if I clicked on one of them, it would
say "The message 'message description' has not been downloaded from
the server.

I figured the information was somewhere on the machine and was
writing an email to the list from another machine to ask where to
look/what to do.  When I woke up the ibook (the machine I normally
handle mail with) to look at the "About Mail" to get details of the
version of mail I'm using,  another message came up that said
something like

Compaction Error

An error occurred while compacting mail.  Mail will be restored to
the state it was before compaction  (or something like that).

Now all the mail is gone, not even the names of the emails is in the
inbox or the trash mailbox.

Is it still there somewhere?  Can I retrieve it?  I haven't got a
backup (my backup drive failed) and I need it back

Help

Dan