[G4] G4 RAM Eccentricities

Mike Bechtold wmb1204 at fuse.net
Sun Jun 29 10:34:06 PDT 2008

Yesterday, I picked up three sticks of 512MB PC-133 RAM to max out my
Digital Audio from a local computer repair guy. I took a G3 iMac with
OS9.2.2 with me as a portable memory tester, and that system
successfully recognized all three sticks.

But when I installed them in my G4 Digital Audio, one stick prevents the
system from booting past the post chime - but only when it's installed
in the RAM socket right next to the first PCI slot. If I install in on
the third slot, all three work fine.

I'm a graduate EE with thirty five years of electronics experience, and
I've dealt with a lot of funny stuff. But this one's got me puzzled.
I'm not worried as long as the system works, but curious. Does anyone
have any suggestions as to why this might be happening? Is it a
capacitive loading issue, something in the mobo, or ???

Thanks for any enlightenment you might provide!

- Michael B. in Cincinnati