[G4] Internal vs. External DVD

Greg Nembhard gal610 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 09:08:20 PDT 2008

i guys,
I'm planning on upgrading my G4 2002 QS 800Mhz 1.2gb Ram 80G CDRW
to a superdrive or external DVD burner.

I see that I can get an older superdrive for around $50. that's a 8X but
speeds have gone up to 20X now.

I think the latest and greatest Mac drives are now at 18X but they are
fairly expensive.

So I'm thinking of keeping my CDRW and just adding an external firewire DVD
burner
The other idea was to get a External USB drive but the internal Mac USB is
only 1.1 which is way too slow.
I have a 4 port pci Card with the faster 2.0 but it doesn't work when the
Mac goes to sleep mode, and I've been having some problems with having to
always reboot the machine to get it to recognize an external Hard Drive that
I have attached to it.  Sorry for the long windedness...
But my questions are as follows:

1.  Will an external DVD burner be able to burn Itunes?  I heard that there
are some problems associated with External drives.

2.  Is there a work around with regards to the Pci card and the Mac going to
sleep the internal 1.1 just doesn't cut it in today's world

3.  Can anyone recommend a good DVD burner external or internal that works
with IDVD and ITunes

Thanks again guys I'll be looking forward to your responses.

Greg

G4 2002 QS OS X 10.4.11
800Mhz, 1.2Gb Ram
80 Gb, CDRW