[G4] firmware: update needed?

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 17:08:11 PDT 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 4:54 PM, Eric Smith wrote:

> In other words, how is it different than removing the disk from
> machine A,
> putting it in machine B to install the OS, and then replacing it in
> machine A? (Other than just the convenience of not physically removing
> the drive.)

You have a good point there. At first glance, there isn't any
difference between Target Mode installations and physically moving the
drive after doing the installation in a different machine.

However, in my experience installing OS software in different Macs, it
is sometimes very critical that you perform the installation WITH the
machine that you intend to use the drive in. Frequently, I have
performed an OS installation using an iMac and then had problems with
the installation when the drive was physically moved to a different
architecture machine. The same has occurred when installing to a drive
in a B&W G3 and moving the drive to an iMac.

There are parts of the installation that are specific to the model of
machine and they are not always compatible with a move to a different
architecture machine.

Strangely, I have not had the same issues with installing to a machine
in Target Mode. I have done the installation in Target Mode, separated
the machines, and continued to run the installation without any of the
problems that appeared previously. I do not have a definitive answer
for the happenings, just that it works better for me to do it in
Target Mode.

God luck with whichever method you chose.