[G4] firmware: update needed?

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Mar 12 22:04:01 PDT 2008

On Mar 13, 2008, at 12:34 AM, Ronald Steinke wrote:

> Most of the discs that come in the box with a Mac are machine
> specific, not generic, installation discs.

I'm  only doing his once. The reverse is true. Most of them are not
machine specific even if they have the name of the machine on them.
Some are, or have specific extras
pertaining to specific hardware.

> Only the separate over-the-counter OS discs are multi-machine capable.

Not strictly true. sorry.

> I will state from direct experience that certain installation discs
> WILL NOT install on any other machine than the model that they were
> produced for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Certain discs will not. Lots will.
I installed 7.6 with a disc from a 1400 something laptop on to my
Powermac 7600. It worked. there was however a useless battery indicator
  I installed a leopard disc packed with a dual quad xeon  intel
model, on a G4 and a G5. 0% problems.

> You may get a dialogue window with the statement that THIS disc will
> not install on THIS machine and it may not tell you why, just that
> it won't install.

And that of course would be a good time to stop and give up.

> With other discs, it will tell you that your processor is too slow,
> you don't have the right type of processor, etc.

Yet another case .

We are of course referring to the OS install disc and not the set of
restore discs.