[G4] MDD - Disc space issues

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Mar 22 11:09:18 PDT 2008

On 22 Mar, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Kurt A. Swigart wrote:

> The question I have is about Disc space. Mine came with a 120 GB HD
> and I am slowly running out of space. Currently 29 GB left.
>

> Now I also have expansion slots for I believe at least 2 more
> drives. Should I get two more hard drives or can/should I just
> upgrade the one? I've read some things that say I will only be able
> to install a HD with 160 GB or less on this model. Any
> recommendations?

The first thing to do is to address the reason that you are running
out of space.

Are you installing many program updates and not deleting the older
versions? Are you storing many songs or picture/movie files on your
drive?

Maybe you are running a program that creates temporary cache files and
not making sure that those temporary files get deleted? Your internet
browser data cache might be growing because you haven't attended to
the house-cleaning chores regularly.

You should be running the system maintenance programs on a regular
basis to help keep temporary files under control and not let the cache
files expand without limits.

I personally prefer Onyx to perform the daily, weekly, and monthly
maintenance programs. Cocktail is another program that will handle
those chores. Download and use whichever one you chose and use it
regularly for keeping your temp files under control.

Hope this helps your problem.