[G4] installing 10.4

aperry at eznet.net aperry at eznet.net
Wed Mar 26 18:53:34 PDT 2008

Hi, all. I’ve been a subscriber for about a
month, and this is my first post. I have a Mac G4 (466 mhz?)  running OS 10.3.9, which has been fine for me;
however, I now find I need to run some apps that are not supported, and
for which I need 10.4. (TurboTax, for instance) I have a  30GB internal HD almost filled, so I installed an
80GB second internal drive. I need to keep OS9/classic to run an old
version of Microsoft Office and other apps no longer available.  I purchased OS 10.4 (Tiger?) and the update 10.4.11.
I need to know the order in which I should do things. For instance, should
I copy the old internal to the new one and then install the new OS?   What about permissions?
I don’t know enough to anticipate and avoid problems. (I back up
regularly to an external drive using SuperDuper!.) Oh, and can I use an
external firewire DVD drive to do the install?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Aggie