[G4] Gifted with a G4/500

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri May 2 01:07:45 PDT 2008

On 1 May, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Eric Smith wrote:

> Would they also boot up if a keyboard was not connected?

I couldn't say as to that. I never had one set up without a keyboard
and mouse, even with the KVM box. It never occurred to me to do a
setup without them.

The KVM box provided the keyboard and mouse for multiple machines at
once, but I occasionally would set a machine up without any monitor
connection because I was going to test different monitors for
functionality and would be changing the monitors out one after
another. The machine that was set up for the monitor testing would
vary according to what model I had available to me at the time I was
going to be testing monitors.

At first, I was using Centris and Quadra models, then I moved on to
PowerPC models, and now I'm using G3 and G4 models. As we received
newer models in the donations to our program, I would use the newest
and fastest available. My main test machine now is a 677MHz Digital
Audio G4 but it will be replaced with a dual 100Ghz QuickSilver as
soon as I finish configuring it with the software that I use.