[G4] two 500 gb drives

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 08:00:47 PDT 2008

I agree that a TRUE backup benefits from seprate site storage. On the other hand, it's not so easy to remember to do the backup. At work I have a firewire drive that I do regular bootable backups too using CCC. I then turn it off.

Another great use of two matching internal drives is to create a mirrored RAID array using Disk Utility. This just appears as one 500Gb drive on your desktop, but constantly writes to both drives. If one fails the other still carries on. You could put your MOST valuable files on the 40Gb in an external fw case (freeing up a power connector also), which would be unplugged and therefore not wearing out anymore.....

John