[G4] Hard Drive questions...

ewood at izoom.net ewood at izoom.net
Mon May 26 12:42:57 PDT 2008

> This one is for Al Poulin... or anyone else who might want to chime
> in...
>
> I've got a QS 2002 more or less load. It's got two to GB Hard drive
> and a 120 GB external Hard Drive driven by USB and built by Western
> Digital and serving as my TM more or less.
>
> The first drive is all but max out and the second drive is a
> intermediate back up / storage drive.
>
> I was thinking out upgrading my first drive to something around 320 TO
> 500 GB USED... Seniors usually have limited funds to spend on new hard
> drives. The question is do I stay with the current formate ATA Bus or
> jump up to a  SATA DRIVE AND CARD which mean a STATA Card and what
> else? Also what kind of  SATA? And what do I get out of such a upgrade?
>
> Please anything else that might be useful to know before hand?
>
> Al trust your having a fun filled holiday and surely your not reading
> eMails today?
>
> Later guys
>
> Rick therepguy
> Houston
> ///////////////////
>
> PS Yes I'm also  looking to upgrade the hard drive to a firewire...
> cause the USB is as slow as can be... [GRIN]

Is that USB 1? Sounds like you could use two PCI cards in there, to get
USB 2 and SATA. Then you get yourself a 500 GB SATA drive, just like I did
for my very own G4 tower, and you'll be sitting pretty, as it were. I'm
not sure what "SATA 2" is, which I know I've seen somewhere or other. But
all you need for a very nice hard drive experience is a plain SATA card
and a plain SATA drive. There'll probably be at least one SATA cable
included with each, at least with new components. And then you'll want to
be make sure you get a SATA power adapter, which is likely also included
with new hardware. But, buyer beware there. Put basically, you need a SATA
data cable and a SATA-compatible power cord connector for the drive.

Eric W.