[G4] Wanted : quieter power supply and fan - G4 MDD

Paul ppd at spin.net.au
Tue May 27 23:54:19 PDT 2008

Hello all,

as many of you would know, the MDD G4 Power Macs had a reputation for
being rather noisy - so much so that Apple initiated (after pressure
from many disgruntled users) a program to replace the power supply and
CPU fan in offending machines.

I have a G4 MDD 1.25 GHz DP FW400, and I tried to use it for a few days
- I work as a sole trader in a fairly quiet room in the house - I found
the noise to be so intolerable that I went back to my G4 933 MHz, which
is what I’m using now. My MDD has the original PS and fan.

I read on the Internet that most people reported the replacement fan
and PS made a real difference in noise levels. So, if anyone out there
has one of these revised power supplies or both fan and power supply,
please let me know. I am keen to pick one up. I believe the replacement
PS was marked “REV B”, as opposed to the “REV A” of the original.

Thanks
Paul