[G4] OS install question

Margaret Krakowiak imago at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 3 10:20:35 PST 2008

I just bought a dual 1gig Quicksilver.
It has a 160 gig hard drive, wiped clean, no OS.
Seller said it was running OSX10.4.6 when tested.

My question is what is the best way to get this machine
up and running. I have a retail 10.4 disk that I bought
when I was upgrading my DP450, which is currently
upgraded to 10.4.6, with 9.2.2 also installed. (the 450
came with 9.0.4, and I went through the upgrade "steps"
to get to 9.2.2.) I also have 9.2.1 on a retail disk.

I'd kind of like to keep a version of 9 on the Quicksilver,
but I could let that go. If I do keep 9, should I use the
9.2.1 retail disk to install, then upgrade that to 9.2.2, and then
use the 10.4 retail to install OSX, and upgrade that to 10.4.11?
Or, should I hook the 2 computers together, and use CarbonCopy
to just clone over what I have on the 450 (10.4.6 and 9.2.2)
to the Quicksilver?

I've never bought a machine without the OS installed, and I don't
want to screw things up from the get go. I read that you shouldn't
install an older system than what is on the computer. This one
has none, but did have 10.4.6 at some point. Does that count?
(I think the 2002 Quicksilvers originally came with 10.1.2 and
9.2.2 installed).

margaret
And, my 450 has 3 hard drives in it - the one that has 10.4.6 is
a 250 gig that I installed, and will probably move over to the
Quicksilver
once I see that all is well with it.