[G4] G4 Quicksilver 2002 Dual 1GHz Upgrade Advice

Paul Twynam paultwynam at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 06:52:09 PST 2008

Hi G4 list,I've got G4 Power PC 'Quicksilver 2002' Dual 1GHz and wanted some advice on how to upgrade it, without spending so much it warrants buying a new machine. It's already got the maximum amount of RAM, at 1.5GB and I have previously upgraded the graphics card (to an Nvidia Geforce 6800 256MB AGP), which works great. It's still a good computer, but is starting to feel a bit sluggish.What options do I have with upgrading the processors, as I've seen some dual 1.8GHz and even 2.0GHz upgrades, but wondered how much of a performance increase these would really offer? Is it worth waiting until CPU upgrades go over the 2.0GHz mark? Would there also be any benefit in replacing and or adding another hard drive?Basically any thoughts, tips or comments on how to make the machine faster would be greatly appreciated, as it'd be great to get another few years good service out of it.Many thanks,Paul.