[G4] "Echo you got owned"

Giorgio Gomelsky gio1 at rcn.com
Wed Nov 12 09:43:54 PST 2008

Richard Klein wrote:
> It sounds like you inadvertently left some kind of server running,
> maybe SSH or something, and someone took advantage of that to mount a
> volume on your desktop.  It's not a virus, exactly, but someone
> executing commands on your computer.  Check what's running on your
> computer.

On the G4 I run the QuickTimeStreamingServer (on its own IP#) for
serving videos,
embedded on a website served from a W2K (web) server thru a router (own
IP# too), using 2 different
ISPs connections Been working for years with no problems.

Checked Activity Monitor on G4 (without QTSS running) and noticed
following "servers",
1. SystemUIServer (Process ID229)/Parent Process:  'loginwindow ',
2 ATSServer (process ID89)/Parent Process:  'launchd ' which the
"sample" cannot examine "for unknown reasons
   even though it appears to exist".
3 OSXvnc-server (ID137) Parent Process "sh(124)"
4 QTSS adds the "windowserver" (ID63) Parent Process: "launchd (01)"

The volume "echo you got owned" writes itself not on the main bootup
drive but on the second
internal drive which contains 2 more volumes.