[G4] "Echo you got owned"

Giorgio Gomelsky gio1 at rcn.com
Wed Nov 12 23:28:44 PST 2008

g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> I'm glad we figured that out!

> I'm not sure what the best course of action is with that volume, but I
> think I'd look through it and see if there was anything I wanted to
> keep, move the important files somewhere else, and unmount the volume.
> I think that's all you need to do...

Interestingly, this "zombie" must have looked around the internal drives,
found space on one of them, created a partition (around 10GB) named it
"echo you got owned" and copied over a bunch of files from here and there.
I looked at them, took the time to compare them with the originals and although
they had the same name, their sizes and creation/modification dates were
different, so were some of the version #, most of the ones on the "echo" volume
are 3-5 years' old versions! For instance, the Mail.app on "echo" is version
"Mail" (2.8MB) and on boot disk it's version 2.1.3 (17.8MB); Chess is respectively
version 1.2 ("echo") and v.2.1 on boot disk, etc.,etc., =-O ! This points to
the puzzling fact that "zombie" did not get the apps from the bootup disk,
but where did it get them?

Otherwise, the machine boots up fine but despite unmounting the "zombie"
volume, it reappears on reboot. I'm thinking that deleting the
partition might do it, am I right? Problem is there are 2 more partitions on
that disk and I wouldn't like to lose the stuff on them. So far I manged to
do a "7" erasure, just in case the "zombie" reappears.