[G4] Acard AEC-6280M Boot

Doug Burton slugg0 at embarqmail.com
Thu Oct 30 14:01:13 PDT 2008

On Oct 30, 2008, at 10:39 AM, shopdog at mac.com wrote:

> Richard:  The shorting worked!  The power supply turns on and I'm
> successfully powering 2 hard drives outside the G4 chassis.  That
> makes 7 HDs connected to the G4's internal buses.
>
> Doug:  Thank you for detailing your setup.  I'm running into a
> practical problem, though-- since I wanted to run one of the
> Acard's ribbon cables outside the chassis, I had to remove one of
> my PCI cards (a SCSI card which I no longer need) so that I could
> run the cable through the resulting "missing card window".  This
> works, but it would be great to still be able to use the internal
> PCI slot.  How did you run the cables outside the chassis, and did
> you have to sacrifice any of your internal PCI cards to do it?
>
> shopdog

When I was using the Acard ATA card, all of my drives were inside.
Now that I switched to SATA, the drives are in the server drive case
and I used a couple of these <http://www.pugetsystems.com/
part_info.php?part=3684> pass through connectors in the DA and a
couple more on the back of the server drive case.  Then I just ran
some long SATA cables between the two.  I had two free slots open in
the DA, so I didn't have to worry about using up the PCI slots.

Just a message from Doug...